in & around the area
Walks In The Area
If you like walking there are some very beautiful walks in the area.
Dyke Footpath enters the area in the North and
crosses the B4393 just West of Rhos Farm. If you travel South it takes
you past The Nea on Tredwerwen Lane and on towards Rhydesgyn. Alternatively,
South of The Nea, you can make a left turn and join the:
Way, basically follows the route
of the Argae (flood embankments) in a North-Eastern direction coming
out on to the B4393 at Llandrinio Bridge. The Severn Way then goes
over the bridge follows the route of the argae on the southern side
of the River Severn.
The Argae is also a public footpath and follows the routes of the
rivers Severn and Vyrnwy.
From the Montgomery Canal Towpath you can enjoy the abundant wildlife
and plant life that is to be found on the canal, a conservation area.
Criggion. For the more energetic, although not within
the Llandrinio area, a challenging walk/climb is up the Breidden Hill
to Rodneys Pillar, from where you can observe Llandrinio and
the surrounding areas on a clear day the view is literally
as far as the eye can see. To get there, travel over Llandrinio bridge
and take the first right. Follow the road around to Criggion Quarry.
At the quarry turn left and a couple of hundred yards up the road
turn right into the Forestry Car Park and follow the signs.
Features Of Interest.
Before the Act for the Enclosure of Commons in 1788 large portions
of the Parish were open fields and the district of Haimwood was almost
entirely so, being a marshy common, covered with bushes and numbers
of sheep and hundreds of geese pastured on it. The area was entirely
surrounded by the rivers Severn and Vyrnwy as a branch of the Severn
cut across to the Vyrnwy along the course of the Sychpwll (dry ditch).
The majority of the roads follow Roman routes the B4393 through
the village, Tredwerwen Lane and the bridge, through Haimwood to the
site of the old Cymmerau Inn and ferry to name a few. There used to
be a wooden bridge crossing the Sychpwll by The Mount before the building
of the argaes.
The area has a number of interesting
Argaes flood embankments constructed in the
fields alongside the river in 1799. Without the argaes, settlements
on the floodplain would be subjected to severe and regular flooding.
A Public Footpath runs along the top of the argaes.
Site Of The Cymerau Inn translated as The
Boat Of Camerar it is situated at the confluence of the Rivers
Severn and Vyrnwy and accessible via the footpath on the argae or
can be viewed from Melverley Bridge. Mentioned as early as 1575 when
Queen Elizabeth I appointed Commissioners to survey and amend
the sewers etc of the river Severn
. It was once a stopping
place for drovers which is indicated by three pine trees (they were
visible from a distance and were a sign to drovers that there was
accommodation available there for them and their animals). The pines
are all that remain today of the Inn the family who ran the
Inn were all drowned when crossing the Severn to Crew Green and the
Inn was never lived in again. The Inn had a cockpit alongside it and
boatmen (in coracles) would bring cockerels there to do battle.
Running the length of Wales this feature also passes through Llandrinio.
Erected in about 780 AD by Offa, the Mercian King, as a boundary between
his kingdom of Mercia and Wales it was also meant to be an obstacle
to plunderers who frequently raided his territory. Originally it would
have stood about 20 feet high but it is still a prominent feature
and a Public Footpath.
Forms part of the community boundary and was constructed 1815-1825,
making the conveyance of goods and wares far easier than the previous
use of the river or horse and cart. Sold to the Shropshire Union Railways
and Canal Company in 1846 it was also used for transporting limestone
from Llanymynech Hill. An old limekiln is situated where it adjoins
the community by Maerdu. It is intended to re-open the canal for navigation.
Constructed in 1861 the line passed through the community until it
was a victim of the Beeching cuts in the 1960s. The old railway
bridge is still in place however and is crossed when travelling from
the village towards the junction of the B4393 and A458 at Maerdu.
A motte and bailey timber-built castle South of Llandrinio bridge
built in the early Norman period. It served to command the upper navigable
reaches of the Severn, to guard the two fords adjacent to it and by
Lower House, Criggion and to control the multitudes that used to gather
there in the Fourteenth Century for the purposes of barter and exchange
at The Fair. Now mainly hidden within the argae but can just be seen.
Situated by Crabtree Corner, mainly in the field between the Recreation
Field and Crabtree, it is an early enclosure most likely formed to
give protection to the plundering parties that King Offa was so concerned
about. Oval shaped, measuring 600 x 450 feet, it is cut through by
the main road but would have commanded the two main routes that crossed
at this point hence Crosswood.
Village of Pubs:
In the past the village had a number of pubs The Butchers Arms
(where Laburnum House used to be, now the site of Severn Trents
sewage treatment plant), The Crown (now the property known as Severnside)
and The Boat House (by the bridge). The Boat took its name from the
boat that used to come from Bridgnorth after the fairs and markets
had ceased and carried away the local produce. An Inn frequented by
the boatmen of the Severn it became a Tontine Club, notorious for
its drunkenness and rioting. The Bell Inn (now known as Bell Cottage)
was situated by Maerdu alongside the canal.
The Punch Bowl Inn is the only surviving pub, still
doing a very healthy trade and serving the community well
with good beer and good food.
It is one of the very few part stone-built properties in the area
(now rendered) and has been a key element in the communitys
history. It was the centre of social activity with the Punch Bowl
Club at the beginning of the 20th Century.
There used to be a tin-built annexe in which dances and social events
took place. The outline of the roof of this annexe is still visible
on the gable end wall by the car park. For many years there was also
a thriving and very successful Air Gun Club shooting at the Punch
Bowl. It maintains the tradition of holding a Harvest Festival and
Produce Auction, usually held in October.
When visiting the Punch Bowl dont miss the opportunity to look
at the photographs in the bar of the army DUKWs (amphibious
vehicles) saving the livestock and people from the floods in Haimwood.